SCCT has provided quality, live theatrical production in Siouxland since 1948.
Our mission is to heighten community appreciation and participation in the performing arts through quality entertainment, volunteer, and educational opportunities.
Along with our Main Stage productions, we produce several children’s shows through our Youth Theatre company, which exposes Siouxland children to classes, workshops, productions, and skill-building opportunities.
Our historic facilities were once home to the Shore Acres Ballroom which was a 2006 inductee into the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and played host to musical acts from Glenn Miller to Chubby Checker and the Beach Boys.
Sioux City Community Theatre’s success began in the fall of 1947 with the conviction of a group of Sioux Citians that a community theater could be self-sustaining. The group set out to find funding for their initial productions. The City Recreation Department provided a loan of $400 and the auditorium of Webster School was made available for their first production, The Late Christopher Bean. Encouraged by the response to this “in-the-round” production, a courtroom drama, The Night of January 16th, was presented in the Woodbury Courthouse. This novel approach gave added encouragement and welcome income, stimulating the group to find a permanent home. The Knights of Pythias Hall became available, but had to be shared with a church group which required the pews to be moved before each performance. In their places, planks and concrete blocks were substituted for audience comfort. Post-show activities included making the switch back to pews, often as the congregation arrived for Sunday morning services. Always seeking a better facility, SCCT moved about frequently with some interesting as well as not so interesting homes as a part of their history. After incorporation in 1949, SCCT moved to the postage stamp sized stage in the Bancroft School which made the traditional good luck wish “break-a-leg” not such a good luck wish (no legs were actually broken). In 1953, home was the Hipp Theatre, an old movie house, and in 1956, the Victory Theatre became our dwelling place with its adequate stage, storage space, and dressing room facilities. With the razing of the Victory and a sign reading “HELP” on its marquee, SCCT found a temporary home allowing the group to locate to permanent quarters… enter the Shore Acres Ballroom. The Shore Acres Ballroom was purchased in the summer of 1966. The truly adequate space was converted with years of hard work and commitment into the charming, intimate theatre we now know as SCCT with their ideal location off Interstate 29, exit 151.
As SCCT continued to grow, the First Night Dinners were instituted. In 1967, SCCT’s Youth Theatre program was implemented. This program was designed primarily for children ranging in second grade to high school level until recently the program expanded to allow for Stage II, SCCT’s high school level theatre program. This program explores many areas of theater and produces two shows in the fall and winter months and a summer camp that culminates in a show.
In 1973, the first full-time Managing Director was employed by SCCT making a commitment to the most professional kind of organization. Since that time, there have been … managing directors. Each one of these creative and energetic people has brought added dimension to SCCT.
SCCT continues the growth managerially and artistically that has marked their history from 1947 to our current 72nd Season!
Want to support the Community Theatre? Get In Touch